Sunday, May 23, 2010

Blood Donation

I know of many people who clinch at the thought of going for blood donation. I do know that I was never afraid of giving blood to people who need it as I have blood. Did you know it only takes 48 hours for the blood that you donated to be generated back? Haha YES YES only 2 days!

This topic started when I went to NS (National Service). Since we were only 17 years old, we needed our parents' approval. So over the Chinese New Year break, they gave us the forms and of course my mother signed it happily. So we got back and still pretty full of all the CNY's goodies, the staff from the Terrenganu Hospital came to the Camp to start the whole 'exercise'. Not many Chinese girls from my camp took part mainly coz their parents didn't allow for fear of them losing blood and the misconception of 'gaining weight'.

All my mother told me was, drink more water! Haha that's all..

Firstly, they prick your finger and check your 'blood group' and hemoglobin level. When all that is in order, you lie on like a stretcher with 'legs'.

Something similar to the above picture and pillows were provided too. So we are required to lie on the 'bed' and wait. My pressure taken with the blood pressure 'thingy' and then they leave it and the vein in my hand kind of shows up.

So with a small syringe with anesthetic into the vein and it becomes like a little bump.

That is when they poke the bigger neddle into your vein and that is attached to a bag similar to this next image.So after I have shared with you on the whole process and if a person like me can do it, what is stopping you? There is really nothing to be afraid of! I will be hurt by the little prick but after that your blood is going to help someone who really needs it. What is more rewarding than that?My lovely arm with the humungous needle since the silly cotton ball shifted to the side. I was too scared to move the cotton ball so I took this picture instead. I personally like to go to SDMC which was formerly SJMC to get my blood donation done.

Previously I have bruised that part of my hand as I 'overdid'/over-exerted that area.

Something else you didn't know about me.

That's all for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment